CHECK OTHER REVIEWS FOR THIS PLACE:
Maialino New York: The Best Pancakes I've Ever Had!
I can still remember the unique breakfast and the outstanding pancakes I had at Maialino...so I am back for dinner. Foursquare recommends Maialino as one of the best places to have spaghetti in New York, so I thought why not give it a try.
At night the place changes completely, from a freshly lit morning eatery to a dimmed romantic dinner ambiance. I felt good the minute I walked in.
Maialino is an Italian restaurant, a place where the smallest of details are attended to. The food is prepared by skilled chefs, where passion is poured into every dish.
Antipasti, primi, secondi, contorni, fromaggi and salumi, choices like any Italian restaurant would offer.
Walk by the bar and lounges to reach the main dining area - where I had breakfast the last time. Seated, we were in anticipation for the experience. The waiter was outstanding. He served water, suggested a nice bottle of white wine, explained the new additions to the menu, changed the wine glasses and was swift in getting them.
Dinner is served:
- Fresh burrata - probably ten times better than the one I had for lunch at Armani. Fresh and juicy burrata on a bed of olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. What adds value to this plate is the mashed broccoli that adds texture and flavor. The burrata goes perfectly with the white pizza bread that comes with it. A great way to start your dinner.
- Fried artichoke, a premiere for me, a squeeze of lemon and there you go! Beautifully delicious. The kind of simplicity that puts a smile on your face.
- Carbonara: perfect cooking time, al dente spaghetti, an enjoyable size, tasty chunks of pork but a strange after taste of something burnt or bitter. I enjoyed it but I expected better. However, the pork chunks are so good! So enjoyably crisp to bite into.
- The Bombolotti is like giant penne pasta with tomato sauce and pork chunks. Even though it was served a bit cold, I enjoyed its taste. I loved the acidity and the crispiness of the meat.
- Try the grilled mushrooms on the side. They're good.
Dessert followed: olive oil drizzled on creamy ice cream and crunchy sugared hazelnut. This is very good. Perfect ice cream, crunchy hazelnut, enjoyable olive oil... Mouthwatering!
A lovely and recommended dinner.