I had the chance to meet with Chief Baking Officer at Magnolia's Bakery, Bobbie Lloyd who came in directly from New York for the opening of their new ABC Achrafieh branch. Cheif Lloyd welcomed me into her world, where she introduced me to the secrets behind Magnolia's success as well as shared some of Magnolia's sweet delicacies secret recipes for the first time ever.
Who doesn't know by now New York City’s renowned Magnolia Bakery. Now open at ABC Achrafieh following the sweet success of its first branch, located in ABC Dbayeh. Famous for its freshly baked, classic American desserts and decor, Magnolia Bakery offers guests over 150 varieties of handmade desserts, including cupcakes, cakes, pies, cheesecakes, icebox desserts, muffins, cookies, and its world famous banana pudding. In addition to its extensive dessert menu, Magnolia Bakery Lebanon also offers a variety of savory menu items, including sandwiches and salads. Magnolia Bakery is a classic American bakery, cherished for its selection of old-fashioned, freshly baked desserts and vintage décor. For over 15 years, Magnolia has provided patrons with a range of handmade baked goods, including pies, cakes, cheesecakes, and the famous banana pudding. Over 100 different products are offered daily ranging from breakfast items to a full array of cupcakes, cakes, brownies, bars, cookies, pies and pudding. At Magnolia Bakery everything is prepared fresh from scratch on premises, all day, every day, using the finest ingredients.
The Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pie Recipe:
"Pumpkin is one of our all-time favorite flavors. We wake up and crave pumpkin muffins and pumpkin lattes, we take an afternoon snack break for a piece of pumpkin pie and we’ve even been known to roast sweet pumpkin at the office for lunch. We’re obviously big fans of the seasonal squash so it should be no surprise that we have a lot of pumpkin-flavored desserts available this time of year, including pumpkin spice whoops – the perfect layering of sweet cream cheese icing and pumpkin spice cake." Chef Lloyd tells me.
See below for the full recipe for both the cake and icing.
Yeilds: 30 Whoopie Pies
- 3 cups Hecker’s AP Flour
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups Sugar, Granulated
- 1 cups Light brown sugar
- 1 cups Vegetable Oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup + 2 TBSP + 2 tsp Pure pumpkin
- 1 TBSP Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 TBSP Orange zest
- ¾ cup Dried Cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 325? degrees.
- In a large bowl Mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, allspice, salt, clove and nutmeg, whisk together well and set aside.
- Put the sugar, brown sugar and vegetable oil into the mixer and mix together using the whisk attachment. It will look grainy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl and mixing well after each addition.
- Add the pumpkin, vanilla and orange peel to the mixer and mix until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture, by hand until just combined.
- Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Using an small ice cream scooper, scoop the batter onto a paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 325? for 8-10 minutes
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cups Cream Cheese, softened and diced
- ½ cup Butter, Softened
- 3/8 cup or 6 TBSP Maple Syrup, Grade B
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups Confectioners’ Sugar, 10X
- Using the paddle attachment and starting on speed one or low, mix the cream cheese and the butter into the mixer, after cream cheese and butter has combined, turn mixer speed up to speed two and beat using the paddle attachment until smooth. About 3 minutes.
- As the butter and cream cheese are mixing add the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the sugar 2 cups at a time, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl frequently. Beat until all of the sugar is incorporated and the icing is smooth and creamy.
I was lucky to have met with Chief Baker Lloyd but unfortunately I did not get the chance to taste her cakes as I was suffering from a stomach flue that lasted 10 days. I promise to come back soon to try Magnolia's sweet and savory menus.